Slider

The Escape of 2 Huskies

Sunday, September 10, 2017


When we first bought our home, what really sold us was the backyard. It was fenced in and was big enough for our huskies to run and enjoy life. We have more backyard to expand on, but that will come in time. Anyways, 3 sides of the fence are a privacy fence and the backside is a black metal fence. We were skeptical about the back part of the fence because Zelda is a fence jumper. So, my mom's boyfriend helped us by adding a blockade at the top, Jump That Zelda! It was funny to see her check out the fence when we first got here, trying anyway to hop, but realizing it was just too high for her. She would charge the fence and then at the last minute stop.





We have been in our home for about 3 months now, which seemed to be just the right amount of time for her to figure a way to dig out. One day we were minding our own business in our living room when my husband saw Zelda out side, stating, "Is that Zelda?!" Of course it was. She met us at our front door, tired from her adventure in our new neighborhood and wanted water. Luckily, she usually returns after her mini adventures, but I worry about her getting hit by a car, or chasing a cat or something far away to the point where she is lost. So, we fixed that hole. Everything was fine and dandy until I came home Friday to a neighbor, I never met, having both Link and Zelda tied on a leash sitting on my front  porch. I was like "F*ck!" Thank goodness he and another neighbor saw them and knew they belonged to us (We have been trying to get into a better habit of walking them). Our dogs are friendly so it made it easier on them. He told me they had been out for about 2 hours! Geez! So, I went into the backyard and investigated. It was a new hole and I fixed it, until we could find a better alternative. Well, the next morning I woke up to Cloud barking. I looked outside and didn't see the others and the fun-loving F-word came out again! I ran to put on my sneakers and ran outside. I had no idea where they were and my neighbor met me outside to help. He is such a sweet old man. Anyways, so I called and then got into my car and drove around our neighbor hoping to see a glimpse of them... nothing!I called my husband, he was at work and couldn't leave yet, so I called my mom panicked, she was all the way across town getting off work, so I called my sister, who is staying at my mom's because she recently moved to Florida and well we all know whats going on down there, Irma! She got up, got the kids and came over. While I waited for the help, I kept driving a calling for them. Cloud was beside himself so I let him come with me, hoping it might help. It didn't. My neighbor suggested to call animal control to see if they heard anything about them and to give them a heads up... I tried but their number goes to an automated message and you cant leave a message!! I was so mad! My sister and the kids came and we split up. Still nothing, no dogs were barking to help give us an idea of where they might be, nothing! So, I was like, well maybe I should go to the pound to see if they are there or to give them a heads up since their number is no help! So, I head that way. By that time my mom has gotten to our house. She calls me while I'm on the phone with my sister and then she said she heard dogs barking, so she goes back towards my house and then she saw my sister. Shes saying hey to her and then Jayden says," Look, there they are!" and they came running up! I was so relieved!! They got them inside and I drove back home. They were wet and smelled like they were in a creek. SO my mom helped me give them a bath. I was so relieved!


My mom and her boyfriend are coming today to assess our fence and what we can do to prevent their escape. We also updated their collar information, because that was another thing I was worrying about, we have a new number and a new address! So, hopefully no more escapes. Knowing Zelda, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she finds another way. She is ruthless! She just wants to run and explore and come back, but our world is not safe for dogs to just run around. I don't want someone to dog-nap them or to run them over.

So, that is how we started our weekend. Not to mention the unknowing of what Irma is to bring. What a fun weekend! The weather feels great though, oh how I love Fall... I hope it stays this way! Though, I doubt it.

How is your weekend going?
We hope that you are your family/friends are safe from the hurricanes!


1 comment:

  1. So glad they always come home! I hope you guys can figure out how to keep them home!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan